23 August 2009

Sunday Morning

Many thanks to Darcy from Life with my 3 Boybarians for sharing this beautiful post and photos with us.


I walk through a rather desolate area not far from my home. The camera strapped around my neck bounces gently at my hip. I think of suburbia and make a mental checklist comparing what I see before me to the house-lined streets in Anytown, USA.

Humans are so interesting with their riches. We plow down trees, level slopes, remove anything that grows and we replace it with grass seed and chemicals and cut it over and over and over. We plop our homes, sometimes impossibly close to neighbors, and remove any sign of what was. Tidy, manicured, symmetrical lawns on a flat, green carpet. The same perfect partition of properties block after block. We fertilize, pesticide, herbicide, work impossibly hard to force out-of-place plants, and chase away whatever creatures threaten our polished exterior.


It occurs to me that some children may never see land such as I am seeing now. This wild place, this unkept forest with its wildflowers, untamed branches, unmanaged slopes and thick timber is so beautiful that for a moment I want to cry.

Crickets strum loudly, the tall wild grasses shuffle and bend as some unknown critter runs away at my approach. A mother hawk cries out as she circles overhead. In the field across the mossy pond, a herd of cattle graze. The sun, about an hour from her bedtime, paints the fields and weeds and grasses with a warm shade of gold that no camera’s image could do justice.


Realtor signs dot the wild land in uniform distances. An awkwardly-posed, photographed face and phone number seem to shout against this mental postcard. I shake my head sadly, knowing that soon, too, this magical place of untamed, beauty – a place so untouched and perfect that only One could possibly have created it – will soon be yet another row of identically-trimmed lawns and manicured landscapes in front of brick and stone upper-middleclass homes. The tree will be removed, as an insurance company will declare the thick, dry branches too risky for the expensive roof that will soon sit below it. The creatures scurrying up and fluttering within it, will have to move. The quiet paths, with hoof-worn, matted grass will be bulldozed and replaced with a patio. The dark forest, where noisy life somehow manages to grow in wispy streams of light, will be plowed and the sprinkler system will force green carpet once the dense overhead has been thinned.

But at this moment, before humans pillage this place, I whisper a thank you for the magical glimpse at what just is. I am humbled with the realization that no mediocre attempt at reshaping, filing and polishing earth could ever be how it was created to be.

How many other things do humans try to fix? Our lawns, our environment, our bodies? Perhaps these things, too, are better left to Someone Else’s design.



Darcy and her husband live in wild, rural Iowa nowhere near a Starbucks. She is a mom, writer, homeschooler, geeky graphic designer, photographer wanna-be, blogger and has an unhealthy relationship with her espresso machine. You can find her blog at Life with my 3 Boybarians.

20 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Lynn Kellan said...

I agree; Nature's landscape is beautiful and awe inspiring.

Suzann said...

There is something that soothes the soul about seeing the world as God provided. Thank you for this wonderful post today.

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

What a wonderful post, and oh so true...I wonder too what our children will be left with...I live in a neighborhood that was once surrounded with woods, 1 month ago they started tearing down every shred of life. In town, they torn down 100+ year old trees to put up a strip mall, what really erks me: they planted trees where the oaks once were, what is the sense in that? It truly is saddening. OK I'll step down from my soap box now...:)

These Are The Days said...

So dead on! I dream of living in the wide open spaces, where the houses are farther than 10 feet (literally) apart. Far from the strip malls, chain restaurants, and millions of CVS's. It must be nice. Great post...I'll ponder it today and think of all the beauty God's created and ask myself why I'd want to change it. Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Beth said...

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. God IS good!

Debbie Petras said...

What a breath of fresh air! I live in a gated community and don't get to see the open spaces. I love the country and the wild. How true her words are. I really enjoyed reading this and will visit her blog.

Let it Shine said...

Beautiful pictures!
She is right, we can never compete with the majestic beauty God creates. My Grandparents have a huge ranch in Louisiana, and I feel this way everytime I head back to the 'burbs in Dallas.
Amen Sister!

the treat girl said...

Wowza!!! Thank you so much for sharing this!!! God is great....and we all have sooo many things to be thankful for....big and small. I can't wait to stop by her blog.

ness said...

Those are beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing:)

Anonymous said...

Yes yes yes, I like your nice & lovely blog, and leave a swedish footprint after me...

Regards from Agneta in Sweden

Anonymous said...

those photos are so real... so often, when I am more near nature (unlike where I live and everything is plowed down) I can't help but say 'this is God's country...'

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

Beautiful, beautiful Darcy. After having just spent a week up in the mountains of Colorado these are my sentiments exactly. I love the countryside and you wrote of it so sweetly and with such an appreciation for it. Well done and gorgeous photography!

Scooper said...

That was lovely. Thanks for sharing with us.

grannyann said...

Thanks for the narrated, picturesque tour.

Farmgirl Paints said...

So true! I am holding my breath...praying that they won't sell the farmhouse and land behind my home someday. THAT will be the saddest day ever.

Unknown said...

lovely. thank you. i believe i'll take the kids out somewhere to wander tomorrow.

Beth@Pages of Our Life said...

Beautifully expressed Darcy!

You captured the beauty of Creation with pen and camera so well.

I am often blessed by scenery with no houses in it. I love rolling hills and uninhabited woods. I was just meditating on this last night. Creation is beautiful and were we not all created by the master Creator? Is there not beauty in every living thing? It's up to us to stop and see it and to give our children an appreciation for it. The most beautiful scene is often the one untouched by man.

Thank you for sharing such a beautifully written post.

Trisha said...

Thank you for such a beautiful post! I love this thought. We happen to live just around the corner from a new development, we walk the dog there and watch the deer and rabbits. They are gone now. It is so sad. We are paving over our beauty. Why do we insist on more? How much is enough. Thank you thank you! For reminding me to take more time to enjoy the beauty around us before it is gone!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. God is great....and we all have sooo many things to be thankful for....big and small....
--
Reenee
Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems

The Nester said...

Fantastic post--Darcy, you are such a great writer!

xoxo