04 August 2009

Dining Room Dresser Rehab - The Video

Yesterday, I promised a video that would show the steps I used when I tried Caromal Colors Distressed for Success kit on my Goodwill dresser. Today, you are going to learn why I am a blogger and not a vlogger. I hope you'll still be my friend after watching me wreck up this video.



Do you notice how I keep talking about the brush strokes during the video? It's because I didn't really "get it" until the end when I put on the toner. I'm so used to working with spray paint and rollers that I couldn't let go of my image of perfectly smooth paint. DUMB!

The whole point is that it doesn't need to be a perfectly applied finish. It can be brushy or pouncy (that's Patty's word) or stippley. The texture it totally your choice. Patty sent me that picture to show what she meant about the texture. It's gorgeous! (Click on the picture for a closer look.)

If you posted a question on yesterday's post, make sure you go back and look at the comment section. Patty from Fabulous Finishes has answered each and every one of your questions there.

And since so many of you asked about painting laminate, Patty wrote a post specifically on the topic. You can click here to see what she has to say.

You can still throw your name in the hat to win a Distressed for Success kit to try out on your own furniture rehab project. All the details are in yesterday's post. We will be picking the winner by the end of the week.

~~~~~~~~~~

If you would like to make a purchase from Caromal Colors, you can click here to go directly to their store. Make sure that you use the code PattyH in the Discount Coupon field. That's the only way that Patty gets credit for the sale and you get a discount on the shipping.

44 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Unknown said...

Your video was great! I would be much goofier! :) I am absolutely IN LOVE with that dresser and can't wait to get my hands on that product! *Hope I win the giveaway* ;)

Queen B. said...

I love the video...thank you.
I'm the type that needs visual help......I have never painted a thing in my life, but I might be ready to start ! I'm tired of my brown office furniture.
I wish you were here to help me !

{oc cottage} said...

"Seeing" is so much more helpful! Thx!

m ^..^

Suzann said...

LOVE the video. Those are awesome products. I am in the process of refinishing a a dresser and I'm also going to be doing my kitchen cabinets soon, so this is right up my alley. Thanks for the post and information - I want to get busy now.

duchess said...

Great tutorial, Kimba. Hopefully I'll get to try the product out personally - soon.
Have a great day.

Cheryl said...

Kimba, you are too funny. The video was great. It was like we were all sitting on your patio at a workshop talking to you. I just had to laugh when you talked about the video camera blowing over and having to re explain everything. This product sounds fabulous. Now, if I could only find some Goodwill finds.

arkie said...

That chest came out great! Loved seeing the paint and process.

Decor To Adore said...

How can you not love a paint that is brushy and pouncy? :)
I was waiting to your video and it was clear, concise and I think I can use the product. Well done!

diana@thedevinehome.com said...

Thanks for going video on us - very helpful. I have a hutch on my front porch that I have been wanting to paint for two summers. I'm going to be ordering CC to FINALLY get it done. I'll blog about it in my trash to treasure.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I think you did a great job, and I will definitely still be your friend. :) I like the shirt you are wearing in the video. It's hard to find a t-shirt that's not too loose and not too tight....

Unknown said...

I had to borrow some headphones so I could watch this at work! I LOVE this finish! Thanks for such a great tutorial. I think I can do this... I think so anyways!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Great video!

After you sanded did you clean the wood before adding the toner? Do you have to seal it?

Looks like I'm going to have to try it!!!

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Kimba! You are so adorable! :-) You did a wonderful job with the video and the dresser is lovely!

Pam said...

The video was very helpful and you were totally charming! This is the look I would like for the bedroom furniture I want to re-do. I'm going to check out their products.

Unknown said...

My favorite part is Nathaniel in the background at the very end!

Haley

Caroline said...

I think you did a great job Kimba...I would love to try that stuff. Wonder if they sell it in Canada..may have to google it.

kahlanne said...

I think your video was great, as good as the dresser itself. Really you should be very proud. I can't wait to try the paints out myself. Hey, would you take a look at my blog and give your opinion on my cabinets? I would appreciate it. You have impeccable tastes.

Unknown said...

I love you! Great job! Fun! And it turned out so well. They should hire you for commercials :)

Runner Mom said...

You are just precious! Loved the video!! I will give the paint a try when I have a project that needs this!! Kimba, thanks so much!

Hugs!
Susan

Tonya said...

great video! I think I might be in love w/this product! I'm off to enter the giveaway!

Thanks Kimba!

Hattie said...

I love the way your dresser came out! I think you did a great job on the video - it really helps to see how all the steps work out.

Anonymous said...

Love the video! Thanks so much for doing it, I know it's a lot of work.
I am just dying to get some of that amazing stuff now! I have the exact same hand sander you have, and I have a question. What grit of sandpaper did you use?

Pam @ This Humble House said...

Thanks for doing a video! It is really neat to see the process and it was nice to "meet" you! I am really excited about this product and anxious to give it a try!

Irene ~ RE~VINTAGED said...

I don't suppose this product is available in Australia? :(
Irene x

Vanessa Greenway said...

Kimba! You're just too cute! Love the kitchen cabinet project! You've done a great job! Thanks for sharing all tips and techniques for this amazing re-hab.
Best, Vanessa

Hope said...

Your video was great. I thought I was the only one to use the word "gloping" I am going to go check out the product now.

Kim said...

WOW! That turned out gorgeous! LOVE IT! Thanks for the demo, very informative. I can't wait to get my hands on some of that stuff. I can think of several projects I'd like to use it for.

roxtarc said...

love the vid... LOVE how great that dresser came out. d'ya think this can be used on formica type cabinets (which we have in two bathrooms).

Gwen said...

That looks so easy, I love easy!

Unknown said...

So...when do you get your own show? Girl, you should be a contestant on Design Star, that was awesome! I've got all my fingers and toes crossed hoping that I win that giveaway! (sorry for the mental picture:)

Unknown said...

Great video...you're too cute! Ditto the design star show. You need to audition! The dresser turned out great...thanks for showing us how easy it can be!

Nancy

Joanna said...

Wonderful video! I love this stuff already and I haven't even tried it! I would have been like you with the texture thing. I am also used to rollers and spray paint! *smiles*

Kate Riley said...

How unbelievably adorable are you? It's so nice to finally "meet" you ! I loved your video and especially the last scene with the crickets chirping. You should do more videos !

WhisperWood Cottage said...

You did a great job in the video! I hope you do more!!

Amy

Missy said...

Love getting to see you and hear your voice!!

Nicole A. said...

Kimba you are to cute! I am so in love with how it turned out! The video was great!

I have to get this stuff and try it! We are getting ready to do our kitchen cabinets and this would be so neat on them!

Sara said...

Kimba I loved your video. Thanks! It really empowers me. I also LOVE that you painted and sanded in your cute clothes....LOVE THAT. And loved the cute diaper bottom we saw running in the house at the end. Seriously, with that I felt like i could definitely do that too ;)

white flower farmhouse said...

LOVE YOUR VIDEO! You are planning to do at least one every week, right? You're a natural!

TidyMom said...

I can't get the video to load! I started to watch it last night and it was fine, but i had to stop it - now this morning it wont load - is it just me or anyone else? I just watched your outtakes and it work fine - you're funny Kimba! LOL

I REALLY want to this video!

~TidyMom

TidyMom said...

It's working now! YEAH!! That turned out fabulous! and looks SO easy!!

I wish I had know about this last week when I painted my desk! I'll have to give it a try on my next project!!

~TidyMom

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

Great job! It looks so easy.

It was cool to see you on the video...I always wonder what people are like in real life instead of those little square pics! :)

Kim said...

The final result is fabulous!!!

stagingworks2009 said...

Kimba..you have such nice job. I love to watch your video here. Thanks for sharing. Check out also Home Staging Photos

Anonymous said...

Kimba - I love you! You and the camera are a sweet couple! I, like diaper man, in the end, as well LOL


Astrid-
"After you sanded did you clean the wood before adding the toner?" Just wipe off with dry rag

"Do you have to seal it?" Recommend sealing kitchen and bath cabinets - furniture is up to you, and how/where you plan to use it.

Caroline, yes, you can order it and they ship into Canada. I am not certain if they have any reps there yet, are you interested?