11 June 2009

Help! I'm an Organizational Disaster!!!!

A Guest Post: Welcome Tanna Clark from Complete Organizing Solutions. Tanna is a professional organizer with a hubby and 3 kiddos.

She offers practical ideas and inspiration for getting organized as well as professional organizing services at Complete Organizing Solutions. Oh, how I need her help!!!!



First, I just want to say thank you to Kimba for the opportunity to share a few thoughts on her blog. I love the idea of "Building A Soft Place to Land".


For me a soft place to land is home, when all is calm, the sun is pouring in, there is a gentle pitter patter here, a giggle there, everyone is happy and the house is orderly.

I’m a mom of three and a small business owner. I know it is NOT calm and pleasant ALL the time. We all have our moments. If you ever need a good verse to read when things are feeling a little out of control, read Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. Halfway through verse 3 it says, “a time to tear down and a time to build.”

Chaos happens, we get grumpy, we get behind, we get frazzled, it feels like our houses are being “torn down.” For some of us these days last much longer and everything starts to compound and get worse. Have you ever caught yourself saying...


I have had enough!
I need to get things back on track!
I want a “soft place to land”
I just need to get organized!

I hear this quite often in my line of work and the number one question I always hear is where do I start?

When tackling a project like this, always start with a plan. How do you want to “build up” your home? Let your mind wander, what does your ideal space look like to you? Begin at the front door and start taking notes. Examine what is going on around you and what is going wrong. Have a trusted friend (or an organizer) help during this process. You would be surprised at some of the ideas an outside party can bring to you. They are not wrapped up in the emotion of the problem so they can give an honest opinion about what they see happening. A warning of advice, be prepared for that honesty.

Clutter and chaos do not happen over night. It builds up over time. Don’t expect to be able to fix it over night. By starting with a plan you are giving yourself time to really think it through and find solutions that will work for you and your family. If you jump into a project without having a plan to guide you first, you will be setting yourself up for overwhelm and frustration.

Now what does your soft place to land look like?

Thank you, Tanna! You hit the nail on the head when you said "where do I start?" The job of organizing feels overwhelming so thank you for the encouragement.

You can get more organizational inspiration, ideas and services at Complete Organizational Solutions.

By the way, today is Tanna's BIRTHDAY! Happy Birthday, girl!


19 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Diane said...

Awesome post and happy birthday!

Pam said...

Great post! I love the idea of having a friend come by let you use their eyes. Yeah, that and the don't expect to get it all together immediately. Happy birthday!

Kelli said...

Thanks for the post. We all need encouragement to stay ahead of the clutter. It has no problem with taking on a life of it's own.

Cheryl said...

Great post. Love the idea of having a friend help with this. An outside person who has no attachment to the chaos...er um I mean clutter.

Happy Birthday!

I am Mom said...

While in my heart and head I am kicking myself for letting the clutter get this far..you gave me just the encouragement needed for today. thank you and happy day :)

Kristen said...

It always seems to me that getting started is the hardest part. And with a move in my near future, it's probably a good time to layout a plan. Thanks for the great advice. Happy Birthday!

Heathahlee said...

Oooh, I want more! I have all these ideas but don't know where to start...I love her advice to have someone objective help. Sometimes I get stuck with one idea and need help envisioning anything else. Thanks Tanna!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Kimba,
You're such a sweetie for having this guest blogger over. It's a well-known fact that creative people are unorganized people. Thanks so much for the help here. I'll go check out her Site.
Mary Lou

Tanna Clark said...

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes!

Pam, Cheryl, it is so very helpful to have an extra pair of eyes. I think we tend to get stuck in our ways and someone else can have the simplest suggestion that will make us go "Wow, I never thought of that!" Often times the simplest things can make the biggest difference.

Imperfect, It's never to early to start planning. :) That way you make sure exactly what it is you want.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

1. Thank you for having Tanna share this today.
2. Happy Birthday, Tanna!
3. My ideal home would have at least one room you could walk through without stepping on 456 toys. I know it's TIME to go through the toys and STUFF and donate (when the kids are napping, of course) ;)

Happy Thursday, Kimba! :)

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

I realized this summer that my kids are as eager to de-clutter as I am. So..... the chore list includes major projects like, organize the linen buffet, organize/clean out the kitchen junk drawer, find giveaway items, try on all your clothes and find what doesn't fit.....They have been SO HELPFUL this summer!!! I am making progress and a list is 'key.'

Flor Larios Art said...

Happy Birthday!
I love to land on your blog ...great posts always!

Marci @OvercomingBusy said...

Kimba- I just found your blog thanks to Tanna! I can't wait to look around. Your theme is near and dear to my heart as well.

Tanna- Having a plan is key!!! If I don't have a plan, I end up with lots of half done projects. Great post!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Ahhhh....I feel peace already. Sometimes I want to pull my hair out because my space feels like anything but a soft place. I need to keep going back to the vision I have for my space. Wonderful post. And I hope you have a great birthday!!

Sherry said...

Wonderful post and suggestions. I feel calmer just reading it!

Unknown said...

Great post & happy, happy birthday!

Susie Q said...

Nice post and happy birthday. I so need to change my contacts...I read it as 33 kiddos...sheesh

Amber said...

Great post, thanks for the encouragement!

Jess @ Just a Blink said...

I like the part about getting a third party perspective!

I just recently involved a very skilled and lovely "helper", for lack of better words, in my home, to help get us back on track and ready for our twins to come this fall!

It was terrifying at first to let her see all realness in our home. But, it has been a true blessing.

I encourage anyone struggling to get a "helper". It has been so motivating!