25 May 2009

A Grateful Nation

Every Memorial Day since 1948, soldiers from the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), as well as ceremonial units from each branch of the military, gather at Arlington National Cemetery to place a flag in front of each one of the cemetery's more than 300,000 graves.

It's known as "Flags In," and this tradition kicks off the Memorial Day weekend for service members and visitors to ANC. "Flags In" is the beginning of several days of reflecting on the sacrifices of the men and women who have laid down their lives for our country.

To all of the men and women of our armed forces who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country; a grateful nation gives our thanks.

To read more about the tradition of "Flags In", visit the Arlington National Cemetery website.

All pictures: US Army via Flickr

16 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

♥Mimi♥ said...

We need to continue to share with our young people the meaning of this day lest it become nothing more than a long holiday weekend filled with beer and hot dogs.

Our fallen warriors deserve so much more.

Lighting said...

God bless our troops. I am grateful for everything they do for us.

Mom in High Heels said...

Lovely post. I put up photos of our trip yesterday to the largest WWII Us cemetery in Europe. It was overwhelming. Stop by and have a peek.

mary beth said...

I love that even this task of placing the flags on the graves is done with precision and respect...so honoring. I would like to visit Arlington some day. Thanks for this post - we need to remember!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Great pictures. Happy Memorial Day.
~Michelle

Kim Hancock said...

Great post! It has been about 25 years since I visited Arlington with my family. It is a trip will never forget... to this day I think about it often.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Heathahlee said...

When I was little, my mother and sister and I went to D.C. to visit my uncle, who was a chaplain in the army, and his family. We went to Arlington and I wish I could remember more about it. I do remember seeing President Kennedy's grave and the Eternal Flame, as well as Arlington House, Robert E. Lee's home. I also remember the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. They did a "Changing of the Guard" ceremony while we were there. So, so dignified. Thank you for reminding us about our national cemetery.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Beautiful post...heartfelt day!

{oc cottage} said...

How very cool!

m ^..^

Amanda said...

Very cool post! I love the behind the scenes part of that tradition thanks for posting the pics!
:-)I'm posting pics from Gettysburg tomorrow, but I'll freely admit... I thought yours were more moving!

Rochelle said...

wow, thanks for sharing that info and those beautiful pics!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Morning Simba,
That was a good post about Memorial
Day. I believe too that we should
help keep the real tradiition and spirit of this holiday alive, especially so that the younger generations that follow will understand the true meaning of the day. Cause it is not really about
food and fun, although there is nothing wrong with that if we are
giving true credence to what the day represents. Thanks, and have
a Wonderful day.
Blessings, Nellie

I am Mom said...

awesome- great choice for today (well yesterday)

Rhonda Parker said...

Thank you for this post... not too many people understand the true meaning of Memorial Day.

God Bless America and our troops.

Decor To Adore said...

My favorite cub scout and den leader got up at 5:30 am on Satuday and drove to a local cemetary to salute each and every gravestone where they placed a flag.

KayEllen said...

Beautiful Post!

We are so blessed to live in America and have these amazing soldiers fight for our freedom:)

God Bless each one!!!

KayEllen