The weather is finally warming a bit up and my thoughts have turned to the boatload of rehab projects that I have planned for spring. All winter, I have been collecting bits and pieces of bedraggled and beaten furniture that I know will be beautiful again with some paint, fabric and love.
Since garage sale and flea market season is here for most of the country, here are a few tips for when you're hunting for pieces that you can rehab for your home.
1. Look past the surface- Forget the 1980's sponge paint job and see the shape of that dresser or chair. Does it have a traditional, modern or classic shape that would work well in your house? Some new paint and hardware can transform that horrible mess into something that you love.
2. Can it be repurposed? - Can that old changing table be made into a storage shelf or book shelf? Wouldn't that old door make a great headboard? Maybe the old TV armoire could be used for storage in the baby's room.
3. Is it fixable? - Simple repairs like smoothing out a scratched top or fixing a broken chair rung can turn that major bargain into a beautiful piece. When I want to try a repair, I google whatever I need to do and go from there..."fix a broken chair rung", "repair damaged laminate" or "replace rattan seat". But you need to know yourself. That $5 chair isn't worth it if it's going to sit in your basement, unrepaired.
4. Know where to look - Some thrift stores focus on clothing while others carry a nice mix. Check them out a few times or even call ahead to find out if they carry furniture. Some of the best pieces can be found at garage sales and on Craigslist so keep your eyes open.
5. What's it made of? - Is it real wood or particle board and laminate? Personally, I prefer to find pieces that are real wood. They're usually well made and are easier to paint. But don't let that stop you if you want to try making over that laminate bookcase. It can still be beautiful!
Wallpapered teacart: Crafty Nest
Secondhand furniture makeover: squirrels & tea
Her very first makeover: Creations by Kara
Before & After: Design Sponge
3 makeovers from BHG
Entertainment center into laundry station: BHG
Two fantastic giveaways going on today!
$100 in CASH from The Inspired Room
Customized canvas prints from 4 Reluctant Entertainers