17 September 2008

If You Can't Grow 'Em...

Paint 'em!!!


I just couldn't resist the white pumpkin bandwagon a minute longer. They're everywhere!



All it took was few sprays of Rustoleum Heirloom White spray paint and some brown craft paint. Those faux pumpkins never looked so good.


So do you think you can spray paint a real pumpkin? Because I really want some BIG ones! Do I need to prime first? :-)

You know I'm going to try it. I'll let you know.


post signature

79 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

roseroomnz.com said...

Oh, I do like the white pumpkins, so much nicer than orange!!! Can't wait to see what you do with big real pumpkins! Rachaelxo

Missy said...

I'm going to CLEAN OUT the craft stores after Halloween - there won't be a fauz pumpkin left in a 50 mile radius! They are getting spray painted white, topiaried (is that a verb?), bedecked with ribbon, etc.
Thanks for the ideas Kimba! This is one of my favorite stops in bloggy land!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love white pumpkins. I get them each year from the pumpkin patch. We never carve them, so I wonder if the insides look the same as the orange ones. Anyway, the white ones blend better with all my Asian decor - with the red and black :-)

Our Complete Family said...

You did a great job on those! They look LOVELY! You'll have to tell us your verdict on the real pumpkins and how they turn out!!! ~ Les

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Ah yes, my fave - the white pumpkin! Look so pretty!

Trisha said...

I love it! Honestly, you have a great eye. One year I painted giant pumpkins, not with spray paint. I think they may have too much moisture in them. But I used craft paint and it worked great. Everyone was asking where I bought pupkins in that color. Black, White, and Sage. It was super easy and fun. Good luck!

Lorie said...

I have seen them on a few blogs and am trying to resist the urge to go out and find some fake pumpkins. I am sure I won't be able to resist much longer!

Robin said...

Kimba...
Was it my REAL one in my blog that threw you over the edge??? LOL!

Hey...Heirloom White by American Accents is a great color.

I wish you did a close up of that stem..even I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with my REALLY FAKE LOOKING pumpkin stems on some falsies I bought! Oh...we're talking about pumpkins, right?! OMG...they're big AND round, just like OTHER things!!!

Anyhoo...have you done the Transparent Glass SprayPaints that come in colors? I just bought a can of that paint in an orange...haven't used it before.

Love the addiction...we are all having it bad this year, aren't we?

Unknown said...

Those look really pretty!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Cute! I am not sure I can resist much longer either! Yours look adorable!
Carrie

Kris said...

oooh! most excellent, Kimba!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

These look great! I've got to get with it and get some white pumpkins around here. -Julia :)

Marie said...

lol That's already on my "to do" list! I bought some from the Dollar Store but they have a weird green tint so I wanted to paint them the moment I brought them home. You CAN paint real pumpkins and I plan on it. :o) LOVE your white pumpkin display!!

Laurie and Chris said...

We have real white pumpkins in our area at the farmers market. Your spray painted ones look very cute.

Srinity said...

I just found your blog and love it! You have so many good ideas and lovely decorations. :) White pumpkins are great!

Trixi said...

I love the white pumpkins, they look great. I would think you could paint a real one. Sounds good to me.

Bo said...

Hi Kimba...Yes, you can paint real pumpkins...I stole an idea from Martha S. last year and sprayed 2 real pumpkins with metallic spray paint...no primer...just washed and dried them and sprayed...they lasted FOREVER...still looked good when I threw them away. ;-) Bo

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Nice, I like those white pumpkins. I think I have heard of people painting the real thing. Michaels had all their fake pumpkins 50% off yesterday, and they had some different shaped large ones for 5.99. Jackie

alison said...

I saw a gorgeously painted one a few years back--they'd based it white, then used sheer purple and pink glazes. then it had ultrafine glitter and a bit sheer bow on the stem. GORGEOUS!!

Deb said...

Glad you're on the wagon with us. I love the way the white ones look. I'm going to be posting another little something that I made with some white faux pumpkins I got yesterday. Check on me this afternoon.s

Shannon said...

Love it! We spray painted real ones last year and it turned out great!

Stacy said...

Pretty! I just got some fake white ones at the Dollar Tree yesterday. And today I am heading out in search of more fake pumps! I am addicited. Someone stop me!

~Stacy

Wendy said...

Let me know about painting the real thing. I love the idea!

stephanie h said...

Cute!! I am addicted to spray paint now and I think you are the reason! :)Super cute idea!

Annie said...

Kimba...
They look great! This has been on my to-do list since I saw Shannon's. And you can be I will definitely be trying it out on some real ones!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh yes, my friend...spray paint on anything real...works!
When my yellow lab just gets back from our creek, it's amazing what a little Heirloom white does to clean her up. :)So glad you turned me onto it...that is what you meant, isn't it?

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, yeah...I'm in with the white pumpkins too! Go check out my post up yesterday. I used white primer I already had on hand & a stencil, just like a BHG version. Love it!

Yours look great....

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh, and I forgot to say...You rock on your Anne Klein score...isn't it fun? I literally have bought a new wardrobe for this upcoming designer wardrobe post...the problem is...I don't need a new wardrobe. I can't fit another thing in my closet. :)I don't think my hubby is happy. All in the name of blogging. xo

Courtney said...

ah...for once this is an idea I already had...but unfortunately have been too lazy to act on it yet...but I'll let you know how it goes when I do. I'm thinking a bit of glitter on top of mine, after I paint them white? hopefully I can get out and do it in the next day or two...these look great, Kimba!

Inspired Kara said...

I bet a real one would work for sure!! Might even keep the bugs away :)

I really want to do one of those bhg/rhoda stencil pumpkins. Too many projects to think about!!!

Valarie Lea said...

Take the real ones, and wash them in a solution of water and bleach. This kills the bacteria on the pumpkin and will help them to last longer.

Caren said...

They look cute! I knew you'd be trying to paint the real ones before you even wrote that. I think it will work...I'm optimistic like that. ;)

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I love those white pumpkins! I think that's a great idea. Maybe next year I'll remember to plant some white pumpkins in my pumpkin patch.

Kimba- I'd LOVE your input on a post on my blog. I'm at a complete loss on what to do. :)

Darlene said...

Those look GREAT....as all of your stuff always does!! I like all the pumpkin colors orange or white and have both!!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

well, I just love the white pumpkins!! I have been seeing them everywhere, so I guess I need to get some! :P

Tiffany said...

I'll spray paint anything that doesn't spray paint me first! lol

queenbee said...

I have to admit that I am on the white pumpkin bandwagon as well. They look so modern, I am off to find some today. If only I could find a nice entry table to put them on. Maybe I will check the good ole goodwill.

Heathahlee said...

I just got a Ballard catalog because evidently everyone in blogland copies from them. I, too, am now wanting to paint some fake...excuse me, faux pumpkins white! I probably won't though...I got some of Susie Harris's Dollar Tree pumpkins and I think they will suffice for now. Yours look so good!

Anonymous said...

Love it!!! An orange pumpkin? how weird is that. Im so lovin' white one's now. I want more....smiles!

ElizabethClare said...

I love the white pumpkins. Who knew fall could be sophisticated!?

Blessings to you and yours,

Sarah said...

I really like the white pumpkins to mix things up a bit. They just look a little fancier.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Love the white pumpkins!! Thanks for letting us know what paint color you used!

Blessings,
Stacey

Anonymous said...

I love white pumpkins! My husband doesn't so much but he may just have to deal with it this year! haha All of the stuff on your blog is SO cute!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Everybody is so into white pumpkins this year, including me. I posted some on my blog too.
I think someone already said you can paint real pumpkins....I did one year, a bronzy gold & they were great.
Take care, DebraK

Mrs. B said...

You CAN paint real pumpkins! I did it last year! But I painted them gold, not white. This year, I'm going to try white. Maybe even black! I'm also going to paint some mini faux pumpkins white because I just can't find any small ones in the stores! Love how they look on the candle holders!

Anonymous said...

I think you might need to try floral spray paint - the regular kind might dissolve the pumpkin!

Jenny said...

I do love the white pumpkins. I am going to get a real one tomorrow and paint it white and use it for my table centerpiece.

Thanks to your blog, I have been a spray painting machine this week. I have done around 6-7 items and I love how something so simple can give something a whole new look. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

LOVE it... AMAZING what a little paint can do!

Anonymous said...

I adore all pumpkins, more so the traditional orange, but these white ones are beautiful! You are so creative! Thanks for the idea!

A Hint of Home said...

I love how your pumpkins turned out. White ones look so elegant.

edie said...

I am so painting all my pumpkins white! Beautiful.

Meghan said...

Oh now those turned out so cute!!!
Will you come live in NJ & be my new bff?

Priscilla said...

I don't think it matters what you do with the real pumpkin. Don't bother priming. It's not like you need to make it last a long time. Decomposition happens!

Tracey said...

I saw in Paula Deen's magazine where they painted some real pumpkins with polka dots(which I have gotta do...they are soooo cute) and it says they used an opaque pigment marker. Don't know if that would work for a whole pumpkin though?
Love your blog :)

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Looks great. I really like how you put them on the candleholders.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Can't wait to see how it goes with a real pumpkin!

Nancy Hood said...

I think the white ones just add a bit of nice difference to a holiday so long noted for orange and black! Remember when we first began using various shades of pinks and greens for Christmas? Yay to venturing outside the box!!!

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Cool. I was saving this for a halloween post of some sort. But I'll share...

http://www.countryliving.com/crafts/projects/pumpkin-crafts-1008?click=main_sr

How cool would that be? But I'd go the way of spray paint, NOT gold leaf

Lettered Cottage said...

Kimba, The pumpkins look PHE-NOM.
But I especially I LOVE the way the stem turned out! Great job girl!

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Debbie said...

I Love it! I do the same things on candle holders only I have never thought to paint them...and I am cracking up over Missy's comment about clearing the aisles at the craft stores...

I am now off to get my Kimba button for both my blogs...

Fight on!!!!

Free Art Printables said...

I think you can paint them with out primer... are you joining in in my pretty your pumpkin party?

Kristen said...

I think I'm about to give in to buying lots and lots of pumpkins!

anne said...

So? How'd it go? The litte one's look fab! :)

Anonymous said...

Oooo la la! Love it!!! I can't wait to see what you can do with a real pumpkin..

Anonymous said...

Just when I thought you couldn't use spray paint for anything else! Too cool, and they look fabulous. I say go ahead and paint the real ones. The growers mark those real white pumpkins up more than the orange ones. Go ahead and paint those things :)

PS - I tagged you. I posted the rules on my blog.

-Hayley

Blissfully Enamored said...

the pumpkins look so great! they are such a classy touch to all of the fall decor! i love them! so simple and cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Help please. I have a stained bookshelf that I painted white. Now it is pink! Apparently, the stain bled through. What should I do now?

Thanks!
Amanda

AliceAnderson said...

I don't know about spray painting, but I did do this project one year: http://www.bhg.com/holidays/halloween/pumpkin-carving/frosted-pumpkin/

scargosun said...

There is def a craze for the white pumpkins. We can't keep 'em in Lottery Yarn. I might splurge for some real ones at the farm stand though.

Maureen said...

I love seeing what you will spray paint! I actually bought some paint last week, and have to show you what I painted. I need to take some pictures!

Maureen

Jenny said...

I took the plunge and attempted to paint a real pumpkin white. I like the way it turned out, but the center piece look that I was going for just isn't happening. Kimba, or anyone want to give any suggestions. I need help! :)

The Nester said...

We buy white pumpkins every year at the farmers market. I think the white ones are called cinderella or something and they are a beautiful orange on the inside!

Heather said...

*Gasp* I never thought to PAINT them!! Brilliant.

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Hey Hey Kimba..........

Guess what I found in some ones blog.......Spray Paint

AND

Pumpkins...real ones

Check it out.....

I was super excited....I was thinking I Have to tell Kimba ASAP

here the link
http://shellinyourpocket.blogspot.com/

By the way
heart you even though I did not win your giveaway,
Alyssa

Kimba said...

Amanda,

I can't reply to your comment so in case you're still checking, I'll answer you here.

Did you prime before you painted the piece where the stain bled through? If not, I would probably try priming with a really good primer like Kilz on top of the paint that you already used then repainting.

Hope that helps.

Kimba

Mary said...

Those white pumpkins look great. I bet you could paint a real one...the paint would probably last as long as the pumpkin would anyway....

Traci said...

We used to spray paint real pumpkins with metallic shades. They are so pretty that way, I love the rust/copper color on a pumpkin.

Scrappinfor3 said...

I say go for it! Some people paint pumpkins instead of cutting them. LOVE it!

Unknown said...

I am quite late posting on this! I just found your lovely blog this morning.

In 5th grade, my school had a pumpkin decorating contest. I spray painted my (real) pumpkin navy blue, and glued on the appropriate continents to make it a globe.