29 April 2008

Something old is new...

I'm so excited to share my first project on my blog! Let me start by saying that I love to shop. Flea markets, antique stores, craigslist. Anywhere.

I have been wanting a new kitchen table and chairs for a long time. I prefer to eat in the kitchen even when we have lots of guests but my kitchen table can only seat six. And since we're building a new house and watching every penny there was no new table anywhere in my near future.

UNTIL!!! Some wonderful folks decided to make us an offer on our current house and asked if they could keep our kitchen furniture as part of the deal. The words "YES, YES, YES!" flew out of my mouth before they could change their minds. I'm thinking they must not have actually looked at the furniture so I'd better jump on this. Some people have furniture that's distressed by design. Mine is distressed by children. I guess it looks authentic, though.

Anyway, all of this is to say that I've been looking around for a new kitchen table and chairs. Now, being the ever-responsible woman that I am, I've been scouring craigslist and a local indoor flea market for something that I can fix up to be beautiful. OK. OK. So I'm not "ever-responsible" but I figure if I get the table and chairs really cheap, maybe I can get a new buffet table too!

Now, I'm still on the hunt for the perfect table but I've found the chairs!!! Love them! Love them! Love them! I've always wanted ladderback chairs with rush seats and that's what I found! Beautiful heavy chairs and the rush is in great condition. Here is what the first one looked like when I bought it.


Actually, not too bad. I paid $30 for two of them and probably could have used them as-is. But of course, I wanted to make some improvements. Sooooo...After some sanding, some taping, some priming and some painting, he looks like this...



Much better don't you think? I have four more that are very similar that I bought from a wonderful girl on craigslist. Boy, I've got some work to do!

Next step...Find the perfect table.

5 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

Very nice work! Once you're done with your house, I'm having you over to fix mine up!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous Find!!! And the paint job is Great! (I'm a huge fan of Black Distressed Furniture.. my house is full of it!)
I'm new to your blog.. and you are starting out awesomely (is that a word?)
I'll come back soon!

Anonymous said...

LOVE that chair and worth the wait :o0

Trudi said...

Ok did you spray paint the chiar or hand brush them I have chairs I want to paint white... Please help.

Anonymous said...

wow great job and congrats! you're really good in finding great works of art!